The Charlotte 49ers men’s basketball squad will open their 2012-2013 campaign (their final in the A-10) this Friday night at 6 against the Charleston Southern Buccaneers. The 49ers open the season with tons of optimism, returning preseason all-conference selections Chris Braswell and Pierria Henry, as well as junior Demario Mayfield, while adding transfer JT Thompson and a group of freshmen including Darion Clark and Willie Clayton. A tough foe in Charleston Southern is the Niners’ opponent–here’s a rundown of the game and a scouting report of CSU.
Charleston Southern Buccaneers @ Charlotte 49ers
Friday November 9th
Radio: ESPN 730 AM, Charlotte49ers.com; TV:None
All-Time: Niners lead, 7-0
Last meeting: December 6, 2000 at Halton Arena (W 88-46)
- CSU was picked to win the Big South’s South Division in the preseason poll. (Campbell is the preseason favorite in the North Division)
- CSU went 19-12 overall last year (11-7 in the Big South Conference)
- The Buccaneers’ highest returning scorer is undersized sophomore guard Saah Nimley, who averaged 13.5 ppg last season (Nimley was named to the Preseason All Big South 1st Team)
- CSU head coach Barclay Radebaugh was named the 2011-12 Big South Conference Coach of the Year after leading the Bucs to a third-place finish in league play and in the Big South Tournament. Their 19 wins were tied for the third highest total in program history, and were the most in nearly fifteen seasons.
- The Buccaneers lost team scoring leader and Big South Defensive Player of the Year Kelvin Martin this offseason.
- Fun Fact: The Buccaneers play in the smallest arena in Division I basketball; their arena sits 881 spectators.