There are so many cliches I could use about the rivalry between the Charlotte 49ers and the Davidson Wildcats, and how this is the first true test the Niners will face this year. But it’s likely you’ve probably heard them all before. We all know how much this game means to the fans and players, so without delay, let’s count down to tipoff between the Niners and Wildcats.
Charlotte 49ers (7-0) @ Davidson Wildcats (4-3)
Wednesday, December 5 | 8:30pm
Radio: ESPN 730, Charlotte49ers.com; TV: ESPN3.com
All-Time: Niners lead, 27-11
Last time: December 10, 2011 (W 84-61)
- The Wildcats play in the Southern Conference, where they are the defending South Division and conference tournament champions. They earned a 13 seed in the NCAA tournament in March, where they lost 69-62 in the second round to eventual Final Four team Louisville.
- Bob McKillop enters his 24th season as the head coach of the Wildcats. He’s assisted by Jim Fox, Matt McKillop (his son) and Ryan Mee; Billy Thom is director of basketball operations.
- Not surprisingly, the Wildcats were picked to win the SoCon once again this season
- Reigning SoCon player of the year and All-American honorable mention De’Mon Brooks leads the team early on with a 16.7 PPG scoring average and 6.0 rebounds per game. Jake Cohen (11.3 PPG) and JP Kuhlman (10.2) also pace the Wildcat attack. Keep an eye on Chris Czerapowicz and Tyler Kalinoski who are a combined 29-70 (over 41%) from behind the arc.
- One laat note: this game has been declared a blackout by Davidson, so naturally Niners fans will be wearing white.