Good Saturday Niner Nation! The Charlotte 49ers take on their second ACC team of the season, as the Florida State Seminoles pay a visit to the Queen City in a game to be played at Time Warner Cable Arena uptown. Let’s get you prepped for the day’s action in our “Countdown to Tipoff” preview.
Florida State Seminoles (6-4) @ Charlotte 49ers (11-1)
Saturday, December 22 | 2pm
Time Warner Cable Arena
Radio: ESPN 730, Charlotte49ers.com; TV: CBS Sports Network
All-Time: Series tied, 2-1
Last time: December 19, 1992 (L 63-59)
Scouting Florida State
- After winning the ACC Tournament in shocking fashion, the Seminoles, a 3 seed in the tournament earlier this year, were nearly a Sweet 16 team (losing in the 3rd round, 62-56, to sixth-seeded Cincinnati in March). This year they’ve looked relatively pedestrian. Two of their four losses were against two solid teams in Minnesota and Florida–but the other two, South Alabama and Mercer, were teams that they certainly should have beaten.
- Leonard Hamilton is the head coach of the Noles. Stan Jones, Corey Williams and Dennis Gates are his assistants; Jacob Ridenhour is the team’s director of operations.
- FSU was picked to finish 5th in an always-tough ACC (behind Miami).
- Leading the charge for FSU is senior Michael Snaer and junior Okaro White, averaging 14.2 and 13.5 points a game respectively. They are a combined 30-70 from behind the arc (42.8%). The team’s leading rebounder is Terrance Shannon (6.2); White is right behind him with 6.1.
- Last time the Niners played at the Cable Box-_December 17, 2010–they took down #7 Tennessee 49-48. All-time, they’re 2-1 uptown.